Winter is the season for warmth, but there are those of us that still crave ice cream. In Chinese Medicine, ice cream is a no no since it is cold. Only in rare occasions such as a hot summer's day should it be permissible to eat something as cold as ice cream.
So why am I offering a recipe for ice cream? This recipe is slightly different since the main ingredient is a delicious chinese medicinal herb - black sesame (黑芝麻). Black sesame is considered to be a nourishing herb that is a tonic for the kidney and liver as well as a lubricant for the large intestine. Meaning - it helps build your blood that will in turn help your vision as well as preventing pre-mature greying of the hair.
In addition because the sesame is black, (the color of winter according to chinese medicine), it has a resonance with this season. Kidney is also the organ of the winter season, another plus for black sesame. So if you must eat ice cream in the winter, might as well eat this one that integrates a herb that has seasonal benefits!
Learn how to make your own vegan black sesame ice cream by watching my video.
Recipe courtesy of graceful_running (on IG).
1 can full fat coconut cream/milk ⅓ cup black sesame powder ¼ cup maple syrup ¼ tsp vanilla extract 1 pinch sea salt
1. In saucepan warm 1 can of coconut cream/milk with the ¼ cup maple syrup over medium-low heat 2. Whisk the coconut cream/milk and maple syrup until combined 3. Add 1 pinch of sea salt, ¼ tsp vanilla extract, stir then add ⅓ cup of black sesame powder 4. Whisk all ingredients until combined 5. Remove from heat and let sit for 20 mins or so until mixture reaches room temperature 6. Transfer to sealed container and place in fridge for 2 or more hours to cool 7. Follow instructions from your ice cream maker and churn the cream mixture* 8. Enjoy immediately or transfer to freezer safe container for future yummy
*If no ice cream maker, place mixture into a bowl or shallow pan and place in freezer. Every 30 mins, take the cream mixture out and scrape the frozen areas from the side and combine with the rest of the mixture then place back in freezer. Continue this process 4-5 times to get close to your desired consistency
It is easy to get caught in daily life, in the stresses of work, caring for family, the political state of our world, the list can go on. In order to snap out of the autopilot of tension and stress, give yourself a gift of ease even for a moment. Here are some quick and easy steps to follow.
7 Easy Steps to Reset Your Body Now #lifehacks
1. Take a break from Social Media, turn off the radio, TV, phone, etc.
2. Go to Nature. Nature is the easiest way to reset your body to it's natural state of peace.
3. If you can't go to Nature, close your eyes and take 10 deep breaths, feel your feet on the ground. Do this for as long as you can, anywhere you can, as much as possible.
4. Hug a loved one. Consensual Touch is one of the most healing things we can do for one another.
5. Do something you love. Sing, Play, Dance, Draw, Watch cute animal videos, Exercise, etc whatever will shift your mood from heavy to light.
6. Be Grateful. Acknowledge Everything. Discover in the moment that you are alive, breathing, have your senses to smell, feel, taste, have the ability to experience emotions that makes us human, etc. Recognize all the basic things we often take for granted.
7. Call Upon Your Support Network. Whether that is from friends, family, therapist, acupuncturist, etc. Knowing that you are not alone, ever. Because we are social creatures this reminder can put your body at ease.
Every moment counts. - Khanie Ha, LAc, MSW
More than ever this is the time to be centered within your body and connected to the earth for strength and wisdom. Everything that is happening with Standing Rock and the "ethnic cleansing" talk of political powers of this nation - essentially is the historical and present day movement to kill those most connected to earth consciousness (especially natives, indigenous people, women, which ultimately leads to all of us - people of all race and genders).
Yet there are many of us that still hold dear the dignity of others, the dignity of our earth.
Many of us are awake to this, which is why many of us are shock, upset, angry during this time. This is a natural reaction and a powerful activation. However, staying in this place can also be depleting to our resources and strength, which we must protect for sustainable change. In building a sustainable movement, self-care is not an after thought - it must permeate every aspect. Taking Care of Your Health is a Political Act.
Political is Personal, no doubt which is why many of us are in pain, sick and are distraught. On the flip side, the Personal is also Political. Therefore one of the most powerful response we can take within every moment to "fight back" is by making sure we are centered and fully connected and grounded deeply into the earth with a clear mind and heart. This may be difficult for most because of how far we've gotten away from our natural state. Yes, centered, grounded, peace with clarity is our natural state, believe it or not. And from this place is where we are most powerful and creative in finding solutions to our problems.
Despite the political powers' agenda to strip us of our connection to one another and nature, taking care of ourselves and maintaining our health is a direct response to their attacks and will naturally build a more powerful movement toward our vision of a healthy world in which all can thrive. Because there is no separation between the world and those that make up the world (us) and the least we can do is take care of the one person that can change the world (you).
Heal yourself, Heal the World. - Khanie Ha, LAc, MSW